The following questions focus on the document, “FIBA Official Basketball Rules: Official Interpretations.” A free download is provided on the FIBA website (www.fiba. com). For additional clarifications, explanations or examples, please consult this document.
1. B3 in the team B backcourt attempts a pass to B4 in the team B frontcourt. A3 jumps from the team A frontcourt and establishes control of the ball. While still in the air, A3 passes to A4 who is in the team A backcourt. Has the ball been illegally returned to the backcourt?
2. A4 attempts a pass to A5 who fails to catch the ball, after which the ball touches the ring. Shall the 24-second operator reset the 24-second device the moment the ball touches the ring?
3. On a throw-in, shall the ball become live when it leaves the hand(s) of the thrower-in?
4. A3 has been in the opponents’ restricted area for fewer than three seconds when A3 receives a pass and immediately dribbles to the team B basket to attempt a shot for a goal. Shall the official suspend the 3-second count to permit A3 to attempt the shot?
5. A2 is fouled during a successful field goal attempt. A4 then commits an sportsmanlike foul on B4. A2 is awarded one free-throw, to be followed by two free-throws for B4 and possession of the ball for a throw-in for team B. If either team wishes to substitute, shall the substitute(s) be permitted to enter the game only after all free-throws have been administered?
6. A2 deliberately scores in the team A basket. Shall a technical foul be charged against A2?
7. Team B has committed four team fouls in a 4th period that ends with the score tied. Early in the extra period, B4 fouls A4. Shall A4 be awarded two free-throws?
8. The ball is bouncing above the ring on a shot for a field goal when a double foul is committed. The ball does not pass through the basket. Is this a jump ball situation?
9. A3 is awarded a throw-in at a sideline in the team A frontcourt. A4 jumps to receive the pass and returns to the floor straddling the centre line. Has the ball been illegally returned to the backcourt?
10. B3 commits a technical foul in the interval of play before the beginning of the 1st period. Two free-throws are awarded to team B before the administering of the jump ball. When the ball becomes live for the first free-throw of the technical foul, the alternating possession arrow is set to designate team B as entitled to the ball on the first jump ball situation. Is this the correct procedure?
- Yes (30.1.2)
- Yes (50.2)
- No (10.2)
- Yes (26.1.2)
- No (19.3.9)
- No (16.2.3, 38.3.1)
- Yes (41.1.3)
- Yes (35.2)
- Yes (30.1.2)
- No (12.4.3)