Shari Stauch is the Executive Editor of Pool & Billiard Magazine, co-author of Precision Pool and The Pool Player’s Edge, and a 20 year veteran of the Women’s Pro Billiard Tour. She was inducted into the WPBA Hall of Fame in 2007.
Ahhh, New Year’s resolutions; we all make ‘em, we all break ‘em. Let’s make this year’s pool goals different! By setting a reasonable goal for your game, and measuring your achievement, you can actually experience results instead of frustration.
This process of achieving pieces of your goal and recognizing your achievement will give you the confidence and a belief in your game that you’ll need to be able to springboard to the next level.
As you set your pool goals for 2010:
- Make your goal specific: Instead of, “I want to improve my game,” think in terms of game elements, running a rack or learning a new skill.
- Make your goal measurable: Keep a notebook or chart of elements you’re working to improve.
- Make your goal action-oriented: If you’re working to improve your competitive game, include joining a league or competing in a local or regional tour as your “big goal” with action steps to get you there.
- Time your goal: Deadlines, even tiny ones, help the procrastinator in all of us. It may not be practical to say you’ll play four hours every Thursday, but accomplishing four hours a week lets you achieve a workable schedule.
- Make your goal realistic: We’d all like to be Johnny Archers, but if you haven’t developed your game (or your schedule!) to allow you to play full time, then set a goal that works for YOU.
- Write it down: Writing down our goals and resolutions makes us accountable to them. Once you write them down, share them with friends, family or fellow players. Encouragement from the support people in our lives makes sticking to resolutions easier and even fun.
Now that you’ve got the basics down, we want to hear about your 2010 pool resolutions! Drop me a line at email@example.com and share your pool goals for this year. Not online? Mail your resolutions to Pool & Billiard Magazine, 115 S. Main St., Summerville, SC 29483.
Next month, alongside our annual Player of the Year issue, we’ll feature several 2010 resolutions that make the cut and can help others set their own pool goals.